Skip to main content

Wrap Up: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

 



        I apologize for not writing more posts about our June read of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey named one of Time Magazine's 100 Best English-Language Novels.  I just relocated from Chicago to Indianapolis and am in the process of creating a new life!

    As we read, the novel is set in a psychiatric novel in Oregon and is narrated by a half Native American named "Chief" Bromden.  Bromden pretends to be deaf and mute and why is explained later in the novel.

    There are several other characters introduced as the story progresses including two other main characters-- Randle Patrick McMurphy and Nurse Ratched.  The two have a highly antagonistic relationship primarily because Randle, as a new patient on the ward, is highly encouraging of change both in terms of rules of the ward and the spirits of the men.  I won't go into too much more of the plot but some things to consider is the topic of lobotomies and is murder ever okay even when it is done from a place of mercy.  

    I have to warn you, as an individual of the 21st century who values equal rights and is angered by stereotypes-- there were many going on in this novel based on race and gender.  It was frustrating to see this happening with the choice of description of the characters and their role or lack thereof in the story.  Reading literature from a range of periods sheds insight into the values and culture of some members of that time period.  I challenge you, and feel free to write comments below, to share your thoughts on how much impact you feel a novel can have on the society in which it is published in.

    Our next read will be Isabel Allende's House of the Spirits!  Please go ahead and order your books and my post next Sunday will introduce the book.

    


    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writing Process: How much of your story is true?

October 12, 2025 Dear Readers, I wanted to share about my writing process in these next few posts before I return to sharing books I am interested in and think you will be interested in.   A lot of times, I am asked, "How much of this is true..."  I think many beginning writers do write about experiences they have literally had-- that actually existed and is more thinly cloaked as fiction.  As a professional writer , this question is more complicated to answer since more of my writing now (fiction that is) is not so much about me but perhaps a person I met at one point who inspired a character, or some theme that I myself have been grappling with or a subject such as Arab immigration that I experienced but retold in a way that was different than what I actually experienced. So if you are an emerging writer as well as reader, feel free to write about literal experiences.  Just be careful not to write about someone in explicit detail without their permission....

Honoring Zora Neale Hurston: African-American Writer and Anthropologist

One of my favorite books of all time is, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.  Zora's novel follows the quest of her heroine, Janie Crawford, and is considered a classic of the Harlem Renaissance.  Today, we celebrate Martin Luther King, Junior who was clearly a strong and heroic leader.  But I also want to celebrate authors and artists such as a Zora Neale Hurston who also contributed to a better understanding of what being African-American is like.  What being human and struggling is like. More can be found here: https://www.biography.com/writer/zora-neale-hurston Photograph:  Courtesy of Photographer Van Vechten, Carl (1880-1964)

Taking a Time Out

Dear Readers, Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!  I will be taking some time off from my blog to focus on publishing two of my manuscripts.   Please continue reading!   I will be back! All My Best, Dina