Skip to main content

Tell Me a Story: Author Dina's Rabadi's Feedback on First Part of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde


 

                                                   Photo by Sabrina Mazzeo on Unsplash


December 8, 2024

I sat down with the novella, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by Robert Louis Stevenson.  I have never read this book before (just knew about it from my English classes) and was excited to start!  

I have decided that with my blog, I will let you know ahead of time which book we will be reading.  Then, my next post will be about the author.  The next, about the setting etc of the book.  The third, my thoughts and tips on a partial read.  Finally, my thoughts and final review/recommendation.  

First of all, when I start a book, I always keep a piece of paper along with a bookmark in the book.  Starting this novella, one is hit with a lot of info right up front.  So I started my notes on the names of the primary characters which, during this partial read, included Mr. Utterson, Mr. Enfield and Mr. Hyde.  I also make sure I understand the setting which in this book is London.  The style of this book is dense so I also make sure I stop and check for understanding primarily around the plot.  The first part had a story within a story and as mentioned, the writing is dense so I made sure to re-read some of the passages.  So so far my tips:

-- get a piece of paper to keep track of character names

-- check for understanding as you go along i.e. stop when things get confusing an re-read the passage especially when it comes to plot

I will be back next Sunday with thoughts on the rest of the book.  As always, feel free to reach out with questions or comments!

Sincerely,
Dina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Zora Neale Hurston: African-American Writer and Anthropologist

One of my favorite books of all time is, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.  Zora's novel follows the quest of her heroine, Janie Crawford, and is considered a classic of the Harlem Renaissance.  Today, we celebrate Martin Luther King, Junior who was clearly a strong and heroic leader.  But I also want to celebrate authors and artists such as a Zora Neale Hurston who also contributed to a better understanding of what being African-American is like.  What being human and struggling is like. More can be found here: https://www.biography.com/writer/zora-neale-hurston Photograph:  Courtesy of Photographer Van Vechten, Carl (1880-1964)

Read Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol with author Dina S. Rabadi

Dear Readers, There are lots of holidays being celebrated around the world.  In America, one of the classic movies is, A Christmas Carol. Photo by Phil Robson on Unsplash The movie and its various versions are based on the book of the same title by Charles Dickens.  Please go ahead and pick up the book from your local public library or order it in time for us to read and discuss this month.  Abebooks.com is a great source for inexpensive books.  I do not receive a commission from the stores I recommend.  It is important to also support our local bookstores.  Here is a link to some independent bookstores in Indianapolis. Independent Bookstores Indianapolis Each Sunday, I will publish a post.  Next week's post will be information about the author, the following week a dive into theme and characters, the next week will be historical context and then an intro to our January read. As always, please post questions or comments here about this month's read. H...

The Writing Process: How much of your story is true?

October 12, 2025 Dear Readers, I wanted to share about my writing process in these next few posts before I return to sharing books I am interested in and think you will be interested in.   A lot of times, I am asked, "How much of this is true..."  I think many beginning writers do write about experiences they have literally had-- that actually existed and is more thinly cloaked as fiction.  As a professional writer , this question is more complicated to answer since more of my writing now (fiction that is) is not so much about me but perhaps a person I met at one point who inspired a character, or some theme that I myself have been grappling with or a subject such as Arab immigration that I experienced but retold in a way that was different than what I actually experienced. So if you are an emerging writer as well as reader, feel free to write about literal experiences.  Just be careful not to write about someone in explicit detail without their permission....