Skip to main content

Tell (Show) Me a Story Halloween Month: the Movie, Psycho


                                                     Photo by Maxime Roedel on Unsplash


I have been wanting to watch the movie, Psycho, for a number of years.  To be honest, I tend to not be interested in black and white films.  One source said the reason the movie was shot in black and white was to save on production cost and to not make the shower scene so gory... 

Moving on!

I was completely enraptured by this movie which is based on Robert Bloch's 1959 novel of the same title.  The movie opens with a couple in bed... I appreciated the subtly of the physical aspect of their relationship versus all the explicitness that goes on in film and tv today.  We all know what people do when attracted to each other-- there is no reason to spend so much time on it and show it all!

I loved the poise and intelligence demonstrated by Marion Crane, our heroine.  Her next choice is shocking... and the one part of the screenplay/story I thought should be fixed.  It didn't see plausible that her character, set up in the way that it was, would do such a thing.  But feel free to disagree with me!

I thought the plot was strong overall.  Pacing was great and the building of atmosphere and the introduction of other characters-- especially her sister.  

I was surprised at how early on in the film (spoiler alert) Marion was killed-- I thought that was a bold choice in terms of plot.  I personally was invested in her and would have liked her to last longer-- but it is bold moves in film and literature that create classics down the line.

It may be the teacher in me, but I do like to add in additional links to resources for my postings.  Here is one on dissociative identity disorder.  

Next week:  The Crow


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writing Process: How much of your story is true?

October 12, 2025 Dear Readers, I wanted to share about my writing process in these next few posts before I return to sharing books I am interested in and think you will be interested in.   A lot of times, I am asked, "How much of this is true..."  I think many beginning writers do write about experiences they have literally had-- that actually existed and is more thinly cloaked as fiction.  As a professional writer , this question is more complicated to answer since more of my writing now (fiction that is) is not so much about me but perhaps a person I met at one point who inspired a character, or some theme that I myself have been grappling with or a subject such as Arab immigration that I experienced but retold in a way that was different than what I actually experienced. So if you are an emerging writer as well as reader, feel free to write about literal experiences.  Just be careful not to write about someone in explicit detail without their permission....

Taking a Time Out

Dear Readers, Wishing you all a very Happy New Year!  I will be taking some time off from my blog to focus on publishing two of my manuscripts.   Please continue reading!   I will be back! All My Best, Dina

Honoring Zora Neale Hurston: African-American Writer and Anthropologist

One of my favorite books of all time is, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.  Zora's novel follows the quest of her heroine, Janie Crawford, and is considered a classic of the Harlem Renaissance.  Today, we celebrate Martin Luther King, Junior who was clearly a strong and heroic leader.  But I also want to celebrate authors and artists such as a Zora Neale Hurston who also contributed to a better understanding of what being African-American is like.  What being human and struggling is like. More can be found here: https://www.biography.com/writer/zora-neale-hurston Photograph:  Courtesy of Photographer Van Vechten, Carl (1880-1964)