Tell (Show) Me a Story Halloween Month: the Movie, Psycho


                                                     Photo by Maxime Roedel on Unsplash


I have been wanting to watch the movie, Psycho, for a number of years.  To be honest, I tend to not be interested in black and white films.  One source said the reason the movie was shot in black and white was to save on production cost and to not make the shower scene so gory... 

Moving on!

I was completely enraptured by this movie which is based on Robert Bloch's 1959 novel of the same title.  The movie opens with a couple in bed... I appreciated the subtly of the physical aspect of their relationship versus all the explicitness that goes on in film and tv today.  We all know what people do when attracted to each other-- there is no reason to spend so much time on it and show it all!

I loved the poise and intelligence demonstrated by Marion Crane, our heroine.  Her next choice is shocking... and the one part of the screenplay/story I thought should be fixed.  It didn't see plausible that her character, set up in the way that it was, would do such a thing.  But feel free to disagree with me!

I thought the plot was strong overall.  Pacing was great and the building of atmosphere and the introduction of other characters-- especially her sister.  

I was surprised at how early on in the film (spoiler alert) Marion was killed-- I thought that was a bold choice in terms of plot.  I personally was invested in her and would have liked her to last longer-- but it is bold moves in film and literature that create classics down the line.

It may be the teacher in me, but I do like to add in additional links to resources for my postings.  Here is one on dissociative identity disorder.  

Next week:  The Crow


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honoring Zora Neale Hurston: African-American Writer and Anthropologist

Tell Me a Story: Close Range: Wyoming Stories by Annie Proulx

Tell Me a Story: Next Read, Flannery O'Connor